The Fourth of July is one of the most important holidays in the country. Americans commemorate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776. On this day, the original thirteen colonies declared themselves as the United States of America, independent from British rule.
The Fourth of July is an explosion of patriotism, with people brandishing American flags; wearing red, white, and blue; and adorning their homes with themed décor.
If you want to get your house ready for the holiday, here are a few ideas:
- Flag centerpiece – Put a representation of the American flag around a glass vase filled with red, white, and blue flowers. Enhance your centerpiece with a platter of red and blue fruit surrounding the base.
- Patriotic fans – Fans can help you stay cool and double as Fourth of July decorations. Buy some white fans and dip the edges in blue and red dye. You can hang them on a length of fishing line above your bar. When the holiday passes, use them to stay cool.
- Dessert décor – Add a patriotic touch to your dessert. Top toothpicks with small pieces of red, white, and blue paper. Arrange them in a pattern representing a star.
- Red, white, and blue flowerpots – Decorate your stoop or deck with flowers in patriotic hues. Paint the flower pots in coordinating colors.
- Fourth of July pinwheels – Line your walkway or garden with a row of pinwheels. The pinwheels will turn when the breeze blows, catching the glint of the sun and mimicking the color burst of fireworks.
You don’t have to spend a fortune to get in the spirit of the day. DIY home decorations can show your love of country and your patriotic spirit.
As you spiff up your home for the holiday, consider knocking out other DIY projects. The holiday weekend can be a great time to make upgrades. If your countertops are looking dated, but you don’t have the budget for a full replacement, consider vinyl granite covering. It gives the look and feel of real granite for a fraction of the cost. This DIY granite countertop material is easy to apply and can be removed without damaging the original surface.