March 20 is the International Day of Happiness. The celebration is spearheaded by the United Nations as a way of recognizing the key role that happiness plays in world progress.
You can celebrate the occasion on the homefront by making your house a joyful place to be. You can start in the kitchen—the epicenter of the home where meals are prepared and family dinners are held.
You can make your kitchen a happier place for you and your family with these tips:
- Add an island – Having a rolling island will add work surfaces and storage to your kitchen. If you can’t afford one, try building one and painting it a stylish color.
- Indoor herb garden – There’s something wonderful about having fresh herbs within reach when you cook. If you have a shelf near a window in your kitchen, line up tea tins or other decorative containers and plant herbs inside. You can enjoy fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, and more.
- Use under-sink storage – The area under the sink is rarely laid out for convenient storage. Try mounting trash bags on a rolling dispenser for easy access and use.
- Revive your backsplash – If your backsplash is ho-hum, try updating it with peel-and-stick tiles. It’s a low cost way to add “wow factor” to your kitchen.
- Label your shelves – You may have started out with well-organized shelves only to have them decline into a messy jumble that you just can’t keep tidy. Try fixing this problem by labelling your shelves. Having a clearly delineated place for everything can help you keep your shelves organized for good.
- Add faux-granite countertops – If you love the look of real marble or granite countertops but can’t afford the price, try Instant Granite vinyl film. You can apply the film easily over your existing surface. When it’s time to peel it off, you won’t damage the substrate. The film comes in a variety of different stone patterns to give you the look of the real thing for a small percentage of the price.
A few simple upgrades can give your kitchen a fresh new look that will brighten up your day and make your home a happier place to be.