International Women’s Day is observed on March 8 of each year. The day honors women’s rights and recognizes the accomplishments of women in different sectors of society.
Though the women’s movement must still advance for women to achieve full parity, it is remarkable to note its progress in the recent past. One hundred years ago, women wouldn’t have been allowed to vote, open a bank account in their own name, file a complaint for pay discrimination, get a credit card in their own name, fight on the front lines, and more.
In today’s business world, we see growing equality for women, ushered in by females who inhabit some of the most important positions in the business world. Here’s a quick look at some rising stars in business:
- Marissa Mayer – The former Google employee left the company to become the CEO of Yahoo.
- Sheryl Kara Sandberg – She is highly regarded as an author, activist, and technology executive. She is Facebook’s COO and founded Leanin.org, a non-profit organization that stands up for gender equality.
- Indra Nooyi – She is the Chief Executive Officer of PepsiCo, the second largest beverage and food business in the world in terms of net revenue. She is the third-wealthiest female CEO of the Fortune 500 companies.
- Irene Rosenfeld – She was the former CEO of Mondelez International, the global snacking giant that produces popular products such as Oreos, Trident gum, Triscuits, and more.
- Virginia Rometty – This American business executive is the chairman, president, and CEO of IBM. Rometty is the first woman to ever head the company.
- Meg Whitman – She is a business executive, philanthropist, and political activist who serves as president and CEO of Hewlett Packard. She was President and CEO of eBay, transforming the company from a workforce of 30 employees and $4 million in revenue into a behemoth with 15,000 employees and $8 billion in revenue.
Female achievers in the field of business serve as an inspiration to other women to excel in their fields of interest.
Instant Granite joins women throughout the world in celebrating International Women’s Day. All of us at Instant Granite are proud to have a capable and dedicated woman at the head of our company. We are grateful for the progress that has been made with women’s rights and look forward to the advances that are yet to come.