Americans celebrate Memorial Day on the last Monday of May. This year, the holiday will fall on May 29. The day is dedicated to commemorating all the men and women in uniform who died in the service of their fellow Americans. People often attend parades or memorial services or visit cemeteries to pay their tribute to the departed soldiers.
In addition to honoring fallen soldiers, people often seize the day to spend time with family and friends. Spring can be a busy season as people engage in spring cleaning projects and students wrap up the school year with final exams.
If you’re looking to celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with loved ones, here are some ideas to make it an unforgettable one:
- Make time for bonding – The opportunity to be together as a whole family doesn’t come around very often. Set work aside and enjoy the rare opportunity to be together.
- Pizza party – There is no better meal than one shared by the whole family. If you don’t want to squander your holiday by slaving away in the kitchen, keep it simple. Order out for an instant pizza party. Pick up some soda and throw together a green salad for a fresh and healthy side.
- Read together – Bring out some good books and read them with your children. Reading to your kids is a great way to teach them to love literature. You can even go to the library in advance and pick up books that are relevant to Memorial Day.
- Strike up a conversation – Put away your phone or other device and start up a meaningful conversation with your wife or kids. Listen to their responses carefully rather than interrupting. You can even put questions on slips of paper, tuck them in a jar, and pull them out round-robin style to generate thoughtful conversation.
- Cook together – If just one person is sequestered in the kitchen, it can be lonely, but when families cook together, they can bond and produce a great meal at the same time. Family members can bring out some old recipes or try new ones from cooking websites on the Internet. To add an extra element of competition, try turning the occasion into a family bake-off with members working together to make the best cake, appetizer, etc.
- Work together – If your home is in need of some TLC, rally the troops and work together for a few hours. The promise of fun afterward can help engage everyone in the working process. Your home improvement projects might include organizing drawers, sweeping the deck or front porch, weeding, or even updating items such as cabinets or countertops. Things such as Instant Granite vinyl for countertops allow you to modernize your home on a modest budget. When you work together to make your home look nicer, you’ll enjoy a shared sense of accomplishment.